I thought it might be a fun idea to do a couple entries (if I can tear Sarah away from vet school long enough!) about mine and Sarah’s non-hockey lives. Plus, I really feel like writing a blog entry and there’s not much going on in hockey that I feel like blogging about right now.
Without further ado, here is a little bit about my non-hockey life:
1. I love reading. You’ll rarely find me without a book, and I always have my iPod for reading on the go. Many times I prefer curling up in bed with a good book after a long week of classes and meetings (when hockey isn’t on). I am always the one people come to when they can’t figure out what to read – I’ll lend you books if you’ll take good care of them :). Some refer to me as a “book Nazi” because I can’t stand dog-earing pages, bending the spines, using the dustcover as a bookmark, etc. I like summer break because it gives me a chance to catch up on my reading – I’ve read 26 books this summer! My top 3 reads this summer have been:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: I loved this mystery/thriller by the late Stieg Larsson. Think of it as one of the great Hitchcock films (Rear Window came to mind for me) in book form with incredibly interesting and likeable (or not likeable!) Swedish characters that stay up all night and drink tons of coffee.
The Count of Monte Cristo: I’m not sure this one needs any explanation. It is a beast of a book, but pretty quick to get through once you get into it. Read an unabridged version though – I don’t know how they remove 500+ pages from this great book.
and A Storm of Swords: This is the 3rd book in George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, and by far my favorite. It’s loosely based on the War of the Roses (Martin did a LOT of research into the war) and is filled with families struggling to gain control of a great empire after its king passes away. The first book is A Game of Thrones and I highly recommend starting the series if you like fantasy. HBO is also considering making a TV series based on the books; they’re filming the pilot at the end of this year.
2. I’m a video game nerd. I don’t play video games nearly as often as I’d like, but Sarah and I can always have fun playing some Guitar Hero or random Wii games. We usually make fools out of ourselves, and my dad consistently beats us at Wii bowling and other “non-gamer” games, but it’s always fun. I rarely have time for anything more than a couple rounds of Wii Sports or a few Guitar Hero songs with friends while I’m at school, but I like to play some of the more “hardcore” games during the summers or breaks from school.
3. I LOVE clothes shopping. Shopping is one of the few really girly things about me – I love to shop for dresses, skirts, nice tops, etc. Anthropologie is my favorite store to shop at for just about any clothing/home related item. They have gorgeous clothes, super cute aprons and kitchen supplies, and so much cool jewelry and other trinkets. I probably buy too many clothes because my closet is stuffed at home, even when I have a closet full of clothes at school.
I don’t enjoy shoe shopping though, that’s Sarah’s thing. Luckily we wear the same size 🙂
4. Tabitha’s Secret, Matchbox 20 (Twenty), his solo works… if Rob Thomas is involved in it, then chances are I love it. I think he is one of the most talented singer/songwriters ever. His CDs are therapeutically applied on good days, bad days, busy days, boring days, etc. My mom and I tried for years to see him in concert, but got pre-empted by the 9/11 attacks, switching the tour location to Tupelo, Mississippi (only time I’ve heard of this place is in Almost Famous – GREAT movie), and cancelling because Christina Aguilera’s tour was “more important”. Finally my parents and I saw Matchbox Twenty on Leap Day last year in Grand Prairie. It was by far the best concert I’d ever been to, and I look forward to seeing Rob by himself this October in Houston. Maybe we just need to buy tickets to dates in Texas cities to be able to see him!
Other artists and bands I like include Garbage, No Doubt, The Perishers, Sarah McLachlan, John Mayer (his older stuff), Muse, Harry Chapin, Rise Against, and Evans Blue. A bit eclectic, but who just likes one genre? 🙂 I also really enjoy the “I’m on a Boat” song by The Lonely Island. I usually don’t like rap, but this song has provided a lot of laughs this summer.
I think I’ll end this with a Top 10 list of random things about my non-hockey life:
1. My favorite animal is the moose.
2. I love True Blood. It’s the most interesting, entertaining, and disgusting show on TV right now. I highly recommend it to anyone…. who’s over 18… and doesn’t mind vampires exploding in bloody messes… and X-rated sex scenes… okay, well maybe I don’t recommend it to everyone. My mom gets scared when she comes in while I’m watching it.
3. My favorite color is green. That may be Stars-related or it may not.
4. I have a Sebring convertible that I’ve had since I got my learner’s permit, and I never want to get rid of it. I love my car.
5. I love to bake. One of my favorite parts of coming home is baking cinnamon rolls, cookies, brownies, etc.
6. This is my last year of college and that both thrills me and scares the crap out of me.
7. I refuse to have too much red in the house (oops, hockey).
8. I can’t think of anything else because I keep thinking of hockey-related things.
9. Brenden is my favorite hockey player ever.
10. WHEN WILL HOCKEY SEASON GET HERE?!?!?!?! Is training camp here yet?